We had an amazing time on our summer trip to Oregon. It was good to be back and see all of our family and friends that we had missed. I can't believe it has been 4 years since we lived there. I had also forgotten how every single inch of earth is covered in some form of green, whether it is moss, ferns, or trees. It was so pleasing to the eye for us desert folks to look at. Here is one of those long and drawn out 'vacation slide shows' in blog form. It may or may not be interesting to you, be we sure had a great time!
Here are the highlights:
DRIVING
This was not actually a highlight, but it is worth noting that we logged over 40 hours in the car, most of that time with a baby and two kiddies. I was VERY nervous about this part of our trip, but they all ended up doing much better than I thought they would. Our routine usually consisted of me sitting by Jake as long as possible until someone cried (usually Ben), then I would move back and play entertainer for a while, followed by some form of snacks being distributed, followed by a nap/movie while I returned to sit by Jake. Repeat about 20 times. We discovered Brite music tapes as well. So many memories associated with them! The girls loved them. We had dollar store presents that were distributed at certain cities throughout the trip. That helped the girls get through the long 14-15 hour stretches that we had going and coming.
Ben sucking on his 'treat'. This was an excellent occupier.
Jake lost his sunglasses on the trip, so he reluctantly wore mine. Note the sparkly diamonds on the side. He looked so manly. He was, however, and excellent driver. I'm so glad I married a good driver. That really was on my list of qualities I wanted in a husband.
Two cute travelers watching a movie in the back seat.
The passenger side window started to fall down and wouldn't roll back up. So we pulled over and did this amazing duck tape job. We were now the white trash-mobile, but at least I didn't have to listen to the high pitched whistling anymore.Enough about the driving.
BEAUTIFUL NATURE:
Oregon is so great in the summer-mild and not too rainy. We loved being outdoors.
Our visit to Multnomah Falls. The whole Columbia River Gorge is breathtaking. I wished that we had some beautiful Chopin or Debussy music on hand to listen to while traveling through it.
The girls found a 'fairy forest' near Grandma's house. We visited the fairy forest many times on our trip, and usually wore these tutus that grandma made for the girls. We had all different fairy rooms, fairy food (berries and flowers), fairy furniture, etc. It was magical.
Ben, Pinkalicious (Sophie), and Purplelicious (Grace) deep in the fairy forest.
Fairies in the treesCHILDREN'S MUSEUM
There is this great little museum called the Gilbert House in Salem. I took Gracie there while we were in law school, but she was only 1. It was so fun to go back and experience it with the girls. They are the perfect age now for the exhibits there.
The bubble room was by far their favorite room. Sophie made a bubble bigger than her!
This contraption allowed you to be inside a bubble. She almost floated away!
Gracie and Sophie exploring in the rainforest room.
This is the other place that we spent the most time in...the grocery store exhibit. Isn't it amazing how something I dread in real life can be so fun for kids? FAMILY and FRIENDS
This was the main reason, and best part, of our trip. We loved being with Grandma for a whole week, seeing Jake's Brother and their family, visiting with old law school and ward friends, and even going up to Seattle to visit Jake's best friend from growing up. Thanks to everyone who treated us so well on our visit. We love you and miss you already!
THE COAST
We took a day to spend at the coast in Lincoln City. The weather was relatively nice for Oregon Beaches. Gracie spent the day looking for and organizing sea shells. Sophie didn't go anywhere near the water, so she decided to bury herself in the sand. Ben was just happy to sit on a blanket and take it all in. We finished the day at our favorite local pizzeria. Grandma joined in on the fun, too. It was great!







3 comments:
sniff. I can't believe it's over. more sniffing.
It was so fun. Let's do it agin real soon.
sniff.
ps thanks for coming.
Your girls just make the perfect forest fairies!
And I think Jake should ALWAYS wear rhinestones! Always.
Post a Comment