Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sophie will be Sophie

I just wanted to post this thought that I had about Sophie today...




Sophie was carrying around her "scripture purse" all morning while we were getting ready for church. I thought it was sweet that she really wanted to remember her scriptures. I was asked to substitute as the chorister today in Sacrament meeting, so I took off for the stage while Jake found a seat right up front with the kids. As I was leading the opening song, I glanced down at Sophie and saw this thing on her head:
I'm thinking:
"What!?! I thought we have a strict no toy rule for church! She must have snuck that thing in her 'scripture purse'. (Grumble, Grumble, Grumble) Why doesn't Jake see that? Jake! Jake! Turn and look at Sophie. I'm sure the whole ward has seen her now. It's too late. I'm sure they all think we are lackadaisical parents. (More Grumbles)"


As I am thinking all this, Sophie is sitting up just as straight as can be and smiling a big huge royal smile, as if she knew she looked beautiful. I really don't think she thought she was doing anything wrong. Suddenly, a thought came to my mind that said 'Sophie will be who Sophie will be'. She truly, in her heart, thinks she is a princess-so much so that she can't even bear to be without her crown for three hours on a Sunday. And what better thing for a daughter to think-she is special and precious and beautiful, just like a princess. That's what I want for my daughters, isn't it? She knows who she is. I just need to let her be herself.
Sometimes I get so caught up in the details of parenting that I forget to just enjoy how wonderful and unique my kids really are. And as long I am trying to do what the Lord wants me to do with my kids, then I really shouldn't care about what others think. So I let her keep her crown on for a while. She looked beautiful.


You just keep being your royal self, Princess Sophia.


And I'll keep trying to be a better mom.

3 comments:

MOMMACITA said...

She should put some snacks in that bag.

Come to think of it, maybe next week she will.


I love this story.

Judy and KC said...

That brought tears to my eyes. What a great mom you are! It took me 4 kids before I ever had thoughts like that. (I'm sorry I was SO controlling of you!!!) I love that you are letting Sophie be her own wonderful self. What a great family you are!

The Garlocks.... said...

That was such a great story!!! I was suppose to read that today! I'm glad you wrote that! Thanks! I also think you should send that story to the Ensign or Friend! It should be published!!